Wednesday, April 15, 2015

MORTAL (wait for the input delay) KOMBAT

I talk about Killer Instinct, specifically its online play, in such glowing terms it is almost embarrassing. KI is the gold standard of fighting game net code. Nothing else modern even comes close, and I say modern because Super Street Fighter II HD Remix was just as good and that game is old. I don't know how it was accomplished but 90% of ranked games against random people in KI are almost perfect, the remaining 10% being terrible because people use toasters as routers or cannot be bothered to stop streaming Netflix.

Mortal Komat X is the first truly next generation fighter since Killer Instinct. Guilty Gear Xrd doesn't count because the PS4 version really is just the PS3 version at a higher resolution (don't get me wrong, I love Guilty Gear) and Dead or Alive doesn't count because that isn't really a fighting game. How does it stack up?

Not well. Honestly, the online play is butts, but it is saved from being unplayable by how the game handles combos and the gigantic margin for getting them entered. Street Fighter has an insane execution barrier between the lay person and sweet ass damage in the form of 1 frame links: moves that only combo when entered on a specific frame. The game runs at sixty frames per second which means that the player has, literally, 1/60th of a second to get it right. There are way to make it easier by half via plinking, 'improving' the margin for error to 1/30th of a second.

Blanka doesn't have too many of these.

Links are possible online when the connection is good but much easier offline.

Killer Instinct also has a flavor of links called manuals that are required at higher levels but mortals can get away with mixing up auto-doubles. Auto-doubles have pretty loose timing. When combined with the impeccable net code I can do everything online that I can do offline.

Mortal Kombat is, well, different. When dropping a special move on the end of a chain the command for the special can be input before the chain even comes out. You can perform the entire thing, from opener to ender, sight unseen. When playing through what feels like ten or so frames of input delay it makes some of what I can do offline possible online.

It still is not as good as it should be and  I an not happy with it but it is playable. Kitana is still awesome and has a few new moves in one of her variations that I need to figure out what to do with. I did not win much when I played online last night but I did manage to piss someone off to the point of him disconnecting.

His head exploded. Quitality.

No comments:

Post a Comment